Registered charity number 1169385

Facebook    Twitter

News

Outdoor Theatre @ Marine Garden

Sunday 6th August

Yoga by the Sea

Saturdays 10 – 11a.m. @ Beach Lawn Gardens

Seafront Garden News: May 2017

Notes from our latest meeting...

Seafront Gardens Drone Videos

See the gardens from above...

Next Litter Pick

2nd Saturday of every month. 10.30 – 11.30 a.m. Equipment & refreshments provided

Reports

Crosby and Waterloo in Bloom

July 2017

2017 Scarecrow Festival

Marine Garden Saturday 16th September from 12.30

New Toposcope unveiled

Adelaide Gardens 25th April 2017

Scarecrow Festival 2016

Saturday 17th September @ Marine Garden from 12.30 p.m.

History

Seafront from Potters Barn

Seafront from Potters BarnWe are indebted to Paul Bolger’s book (Postcard Photographers of Liverpool and District) for some information on this aerial photograph. It was taken by John Samuel Dove in 1913 or 1914 from a plane piloted by Henry Melly an early aviator who ran a flying school on the Waterloo beach from circa 1911. Dove was a local stationer. The four greens, that were to be transformed into our gardens, are readily identifiable. Note that they are all affected by blown sand - particularly the one fronting Beach Lawn. The photograph also shows a fair amount of Potter’s Barn, which had been opened a few years earlier in 1908, with what appears to be a tennis court and bowling green therein.

Potters BarnJust above the main entrance to Potter’s Barn can be seen two stones with the initials W and P on them commemorating the name of William Potter. It is said he was a Liverpool merchant who decided to build himself a grand house in Seaforth. The work began but, due to Potter encountering financial difficulties, did not progress beyond the gate-house, coach-house and stables that we have today. The buildings appear to date from 1841 and are listed Grade II by English Heritage. This picture also captures for us what is now a very rare visitor to Potter’s Barn - a local authority gardener!

Potters BarnThis picture of Potter’s Barn was taken sometime in the 1920/1930s. What is of particular interest, apart from a letter box that is not red, is the presence of a World War I tank. Can you see it, behind the tree, at the corner of Cambridge and Crosby Road? It stood there from 1919 to the late 1930s and had been given to the area to commemorate the substantial amount of money raised locally to help fund the WWI war effort. It was 9 ft wide, 30ft long, 9ft high and weighed 26 tons.