Registered charity number 1169385

Facebook    Twitter

News

Outdoor Theatre @ Marine Garden

Sunday 6th August

Yoga by the Sea

Saturdays 10 – 11a.m. @ Beach Lawn Gardens

Seafront Garden News: May 2017

Notes from our latest meeting...

Seafront Gardens Drone Videos

See the gardens from above...

Next Litter Pick

2nd Saturday of every month. 10.30 – 11.30 a.m. Equipment & refreshments provided

Reports

Crosby and Waterloo in Bloom

July 2017

2017 Scarecrow Festival

Marine Garden Saturday 16th September from 12.30

New Toposcope unveiled

Adelaide Gardens 25th April 2017

Scarecrow Festival 2016

Saturday 17th September @ Marine Garden from 12.30 p.m.

History

Adelaide Gardens

Adelaide GardensA Basil Fielden photograph taken not long after Adelaide Garden had been opened by the Chairman of the Waterloo-with-Seaforth Urban District Council, Councillor H. Y. Brahman, on 30th March, 1935. It was the second of the gardens to be created. Fielden was a local commercial photographer who took a number of photographs of the seafront gardens which he used to make postcards with.

Adelaide GardensThe spendid entrance gate, the circular seating area and the rather grand steps to the pavilion are perhaps the main features of Adelaide Garden. Of particular interest in this photograph is that it shows both the bronze commemorative tablet and the directional plate that were original features. The tablet, commemorating the opening of the garden, was unveiled by a Mrs. Dawbarn of Adelaide Terrace. The directional plate, also of bronze, stood on a baluster of Aberdeen granite that had been obtained from the old Waterloo Bridge in London which had recently been demolished. The plate displayed the points of the compass and the direction and distance of places far afield. Both the tablet and plate are long since lost or stolen. The mounting for the tablet is still in place, but the baluster is not. Also visible are two strips of decorative stonework set within the stone flagging. There are others that are still present. To the right can be seen one of the recessed seating areas built into the lawn that were another feature of the garden.

Adelaide GardensAnother Basil Fielden photograph from the 1930s apparently taken not too long after Adelaide Garden was opened. Many visitors to the garden are not aware of the charming inscription carved into the teak beam across the front of the pavilion. It reads ‘In Peace and Comfort Rest Awhile’. Just visible are the entrances to two recessed seating areas. All of the four recessed seating areas in Adelaide Garden have been done away with.

Adelaide GardensHave you ever stood in Adelaide Garden and wondered where the plaque commemorating the opening in 1935 had gone to? Well wonder no more! The gardeners have it safely stored...

Adelaide Gardens