Dog Fouling

Toddler infected by dog mess could go blind

Dog fouling is unsightly, unpleasant and can lead to Toxocariasis in humans which causes serious illness and even blindness. You can reduce the health risk to the public by:

– Cleaning up after your dog and;

– Regularly worming your dog

Toxocariasis is caused by a parasite known as Toxocara Canis (more commonly known as Roundworm). These parasites live in the digestive system of dogs. Eggs can be released in the faeces of infected animals and contaminated soil. If someone ingests infected material the eggs may hatch into larvae and can lead to Toxocariasis.

Toxocariasis usually affects children who are between one and four years old. However, cases of Toxocariasis have been reported in people of all ages.

Young children are particularly at risk of getting Toxocariasis because they are more likely to put things into their mouths and less likely to wash their hands properly.

If you have information about dog walkers or owners who don’t pick up the mess after their dogs, please inform Sefton Council via

A fixed penalty notice of £75 can be issued for this offence. The maximum fine for such an offence is £1,000.