Thank you to all who came along to our volunteer sessions in May. It was great to see 8 hardy volunteers out litter picking in the pouring rain! We worked in Marine and Crescent Gardens and gathered 5 sacks of litter. We had 5 gardeners at each of our gardening sessions. We weeded and brushed the rockery steps in Marine Garden, cleared out some of the surface drains and paths in Crescent Garden. We also have a volunteer who has very kindly restored some of the old benches at Beach Lawn Garden. Thanks everyone.
Our litter pick in June will take place on Saturday 12th June at 10.30am in Crescent Garden. Our gardening sessions will take place on Tuesday 8th June at 9.30am and Wednesday 23rd June at 7.00pm [please note change to evening time for the summer months], and as usual we will meet at our lock-up next to the Waterloo Sunset cafe.
We will also be taking part in the Crosby Coastal Park Litter Blitz on Tuesday 1st June, from 5pm until 8pm. There will be 4 meeting points in total: Hall Road car park by RNLI hut (free parking after 5pm), Mariners Road beach (free car park), Crescent Garden main entrance (on-road parking) and Waterloo Marina promenade by The Bus Yard pop-up food and drink (Lakeside car parks are free after 5pm)
Hightown Beach Clean Group, Mencap Liverpool Sefton, Friends of Waterloo Seafront Gardens, the Bus Yard, Surfers Against Sewage and Friends of Crosby Beach, with assistance from Green Sefton, will be taking on the Crosby Coastal Park Clean Up, a mass Post-Bank Holiday blitz of our lovely beaches and coastal parks.
Clean-up sessions will be run from above four locations; COVID safety will be very carefully maintained and group sizes kept to a minimum. Equipment will be available to borrow free of charge between 5pm and 7pm. All equipment should then be returned to each station for the sessions to finish at 8pm.
In line with COVID restrictions a one- way system for collecting equipment will be in place. Social distancing when queuing is required and your patience appreciated when giving out the equipment.
Bringing your own gloves along on the day should help speed things up a little. Please note hand sanitizer will be available.
On the subject of Covid – a reminder that the following safety measures are still in operation for all our routine volunteer activities;:
- Refreshments will not be provided.
- Everybody taking part must satisfy themselves that they are eligible and safe to help with litter picking or gardening.
- If you or someone in your household starts to show symptoms of Covid 19, or if you are at high risk of severe symptoms yourself, then you must not attend.
- Equipment will be provided but you must bring your own gloves. Each person can select a ring and a picker, or gardening tools. All the equipment will be cleaned/sanitised before being stored in the lock-up.
- Bags will be handed out by someone wearing gloves, and the picker will fix it to their own hoop.
- The prescribed social distancing rules must be observed, both within the group (if a group is working) and anybody else nearby.
- The location to leave filled bags will be announced before the start, and pickers will take their own bags there.
Looking forward to seeing you in June
Friends of Waterloo Seafront Gardens